Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace


Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace

Located in the suburbs to the northwest, the Summer Palace covers an area of ​​290 hectares. Decadent and sensual, it reflects the spirit of the last years of the Qing dynasty. The Summer Palace, composed mainly of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake. It covers a total area of ​​about 290 hectares, of which three quarters are covered by water. The varied constructions available in the Palace are halls, pavilions, kiosks, and galleries, that reach the order of 3,000.

Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace
Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace

Inside it has a lake, which you can take a boat ride in summer, and a mountain on which a temple has been erected. Between the lake and the mountain, there are several imperial buildings. There is a long corridor with thousands of paintings that reflect scenes from the history, mythology, poetry and famous novels of China. In one of its ends there is a beautiful theater, and in the other, a Marble Ship. At the bottom of the lake, you can see replicas of the most famous bridges in South China, and the Marco Polo Bridge, on whose railings they have been sculpted 540 lions. In the back, there is Suzhou Street, a canal with traditional buildings and bridges on its shore, which recreates the classic atmosphere of Suzhou City.

The Beihai Park, also known as the Winter Palace, occupies an area of ​​70 hectares, including a spectacular lake in the center that gives its name to the park. Hence, Beihai means the northern lake. The lake also has the name TaiYe, and has gardens, pavilions, temples surrounded it.  It is the oldest imperial garden in the world and is over 800 years old.

History Of Summer Palace

It was originally built in 1750 by Emperor Algonquian. In 1860 the Palace was practically destroyed by Franco-British forces. It was restored and embellished by Empress Ci-xi in 1899. The Empress used it as her temporary residence from 1901 and was the seat of the Government until 1908.

Works

The Summer Palace, composed mainly of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake, and covers a total area of ​​about 290 hectares. Out of those, three quarters are covered by water. The varied constructions available to the Palace, such as halls, pavilions, kiosks, and galleries, reach the order of 3,000.

Marble Ship

The main works are the Hall of Goodness and Longevity, Garden of Harmony and Virtue, Hall of Cheerful Longevity. They are located in the enclosure at the eastern gate of the Summer Palace. The Long Gallery, Hall of Toothed Clouds, Buddha Incense Pagoda, Bronze Kiosk, Room for Listening to the Oropéndolas, Marble Ship, which is located in front of the front hill. However, the Spring Knowing Pavilion, Bronze Ox, Bridge of 17 Eyes and Six Bridges of the Western Dock, which are on the shore of Kunming Lake.

Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace
Know The Beauty Of The Summer Palace

At the foot of the hill and on the shore of the lake is the Long Gallery of 728 meters long. This is in addition to ceilings and beams completely covered with paintings based on historical and mythological stories. The 17-Eye Bridge links the eastern shore of Lake Kunming with the island in its center. The Garden of Harmonious Taste is at the northeast of the Palace, called a “garden inside the park” for its particular style. The magnificent arrangement of the works creates a perfect harmony, this being a characteristic of traditional Chinese architecture.

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter